San Mateo volunteers celebrate community service by sharing their passion for volunteering.
San Mateo volunteers provide meaningful service to the community in a variety of ways. Last year they contributed 84,511 hours of service.
The volunteer spirit shines in San Mateo! Our volunteers often talk about why they like giving back to the community. For the third year in a row, we invited volunteers to write a short sentence, poem, or “sweet Tweet” about the value of Community Service or volunteering, especially in San Mateo. We offered movie tickets to those who submitted the three best entries. Here’s what our writing contest winners have to say!
- The City of San Mateo is unique and exciting. Volunteering for our city is great and inviting. – Greg S.
The above introduces a poem about the positive benefits of volunteering. Last stanza: So come to the table. Step up to jump in. ‘Cause San Mateo Volunteer team will show you where to begin.
- Volunteering will reaffirm your belief in humanity & make a positive difference in people’s lives. #VolunteersHaveHeart – HandsOn Bay Area
- Through the open hearts and selfless acts of willing volunteers flows the lifeblood of the community. Your Community. San Mateo. – Ken W.
Get a jump on becoming one of next year’s writing contest winners by sending an email to San Mateo’s volunteer program.
Thank you all for participating in this year’s writing contest. Now is the time to sharpen your pencils and cameras for next year’s contest. Guidelines: Write and send us a message or poem of 140 characters (or less) by last day of February. Questions? Call or email Donna Divodi at 650-522-7277. To find out about volunteer opportunities or to register, please visit the city’s website.
#VolunteersHaveHeart. During the month of February share your love for volunteering with the City of San Mateo.
As the calendar turns to February thoughts of love and affection enter our minds. During this time, many of us are inclined to express our most loving sentiments, and the City of San Mateo wants to encourage this behavior. As such we call upon our volunteers during the month of love and invite you to enter the @VolunteerSource Challenge.
This is your chance to share and tweet about your love for volunteering. There are a variety of ways to express your love. You can write a short message or poem about volunteering (140 characters or less). Share a picture of you giving back to your community. Or, create your own artwork expressing your love for volunteering. We’ll post the winners on Twitter the afternoon of Wednesday, March 1, 2017, so make sure you are following @VolunteerSource! And, three of you will win a pair of movie tickets.
How to enter:
Option 1: Follow @VolunteerSource on Twitter
Tweet about your love for volunteering, tag @VolunteerSource and include
Option 2: Email or text your entry to email@example.com
Get started with these winning examples!
- Volunteers don’t have more time, we just have more heart! #VolunteersHaveHeart
- It’s always a doggone great day when I volunteer at the Peninsula Humane Society! Charles P. winner 2016
- Show me a person who spends endless hours in training, and I’ll show you a volunteer. Casia R. winner 2016
- Meet friends old and new. Volunteering Rocks! #VolunteersHaveHeart
Deadline for Entry
The deadline to enter the @VolunteerSource Challenge is February 28, 2017. Don’t delay ~ love is fleeting, share it while you can. Visit the city’s website for more information about the volunteer challenge.